Our library activities are thriving, but our existing library building is failing. In November 2022, the voters in Belmont voted YES to proceed with a new library building to replace the existing building.
In the existing library building there are constant failures – big and small – in critical library building systems (vintage 1965).
- Electrical is overloaded and shorts out.
- The roof develops 8-10 significant leaks per year.
- The heating, ventilation, and air conditioning fail repeatedly, making the building uninhabitable.
- Fire alarms are at the end of their life and require replacement.
- Brittle pipes crack and gush water.
- Rain pours through the foundation, causing major floods.
- People get trapped in the elevator, and wheelchairs cannot access the main floors in the undersized elevator.
These failures have already led to multiple library closures and could have disastrous consequences for the resources inside.