Wish to donate by check? Please download and print this form.
OUR LIBRARY NEEDS A NEW HOME
Our Library activities are thriving, but our building is failing. We’ve been planning for a new building since 2003. Now, it’s urgent and cannot wait any longer. Private donations are critical to help fund the new library building – the only free community space that serves every Belmont resident.
There are constant failures — big and small — in critical library building systems (vintage 1965).
- The electrical system is overloaded and shorts out.
- The roof develops 8‐10 significant leaks per year.
- HVAC failures repeatedly making the building uninhabitable.
- Fire alarms are at the end of their life span and require replacement.
- Brittle pipes crack and gush water.
- Rain pours through the foundation causing major floods.
- People get trapped in the elevator. Residents in wheelchairs cannot access the main floors in the undersized elevator.
These failures have already led to multiple library closures and could have disastrous consequences for the resources inside. At a cost of tens of millions, repairing the old building is not a responsible option.
If we want to keep a Library in Belmont, we need to replace the building. If we do not have a library in Belmont, then as residents of Belmont, we could not join a library in another town and we would not have access to the Minuteman Library Network.
Please consider making a donation today. Every gift – from 1 dollar to 1 million dollars – moves the library closer to a new building. Every donor inspires more donors until we make the new building a reality.
Stand up. Be counted. DONATE.